We are a community of thousands of people working together to support their world-class TAFE system. We are past and present TAFE teachers, students, unions and community members who want to rebuild TAFE and Rebuild with TAFE.
About the issue
Rebuild with TAFE for a positive future.
Australia needs TAFE more than ever to rebuild Australia’s economic recovery from the pandemic. But thanks to TAFE funding cuts, even before the pandemic Australia was suffering a skills crisis with a shortage of 140,000 skilled workers.
TAFE is the best way to provide high-quality vocational education to large numbers of Australians. It has strong links with industry and wraparound services to give every student the extra support they may need.
We need a strong TAFE sector to:
- Rebuild a strong workforce of VET graduates equipped with the skills of today and tomorrow.
- Rebuild our pipeline of essential workers to improve our aged care, childcare and nursing sectors which are chronically understaffed.
- Rebuild the careers of young people who have been hit hardest by the pandemic.
- Rebuild our lives after redundancy or career change and help us adapt to technological change.
- Rebuild sustainable communities in regions already devastated by bushfires and floods, and to respond to local labour market needs due to changing demographics.
Rebuild a green economy to train workers and inspire the entrepreneurs of the future to tackle the climate crisis.
We cannot continue to let the Federal Government undermine our strong public vocational education system and leave the economic recovery and skills crisis in the hands of a few private for-profit providers.
Australians deserve a strong TAFE system.
But unless the Federal Government commits to rebuilding with TAFE and providing guaranteed funding, TAFE’s place in Australia’s education system is under threat.
The Rebuild With TAFE solutions
We call on the federal government to:
- Guarantee a minimum of 70% of total government funding to the public TAFE system
- Restore funding and rebuild the system
- Re-invest in the TAFE teaching workforce
- Develop a capital investment strategy for TAFE
Do you like this page?